Iowa Farmland Auctions
Farmland Auctions are the primary method of selling farmland in Iowa. In 2014 58% of tillable farmland was sold at live public auction and only 18% was sold by a listing realtor. Farmland auctions are the most fair and transparent way to sell a farm and as a benefit to the seller its also the best way to get the most amount of money for a farm.
- Advertising is much more intense and centered on your own farm
- Land auctions are contingency free. All bidding is cash bidding, a buyer can not back out without losing their earnest deposit
- Farmland Auctions have a nearly 100% closing rate
- With a farmland auction the seller offers a contract to buyers, with a listing the buyer offers a contract to the seller.
- Farmland Auctions are culturally accepted in Iowa and buyers can use the process to help them decide the value of the farm by watching people they know bid. It is in a way a crowd appraisal.
- Auctions create a sense of urgency and force buyers to make a decision, listings give them an opportunity to sit back and let your patience wear out.
- EVERYBODY gets an opportunity to bid, nobody is left out. This is an important factor in an auction. Often when farms are sold privately several people that wanted an opportunity to buy the farm were missed and never had a chance. If you are considering selling directly to a tenant or neighbor you can ensure you get full price for the farm by using an auction, remember that person you are considering selling to can always come bid at the auction and win, all they have to do is bid the highest price. That ENSURES YOU GET THE MOST MONEY.
- Our bidders bid in person, via the Internet and on our smartphone app broadening the buyer pool.
- Buyers compete against each other with an auction and when negotiations start at the auction they go to the end. With a listing negotiations start over with each and every buyer.
- Sellers discover who will pay the most money
Jason’s Farmland Auctions
Over the course of my career in the farmland sales business I have conducted hundreds of successful farmland auctions that range from estates and family farms to investor and bank owned farms. As a real estate broker I’ve also sold many farms privately as a listing and each farm will be better suited for an auction or listing. The #1 candidate farm for an auction is a high quality tillable farm or primarily tillable or farms with high rate of return. These farms do best selling by land auction.
What Do Our Farmland Auction Services in Iowa Look Like?
There are never two farmland auctions that are the same for us and each marketing campaign is engineered by our team from scratch to take advantage of every aspect of the method for our sellers. DreamDirt has many competitive advantages and chief among them is our unique and first of its kind online bidding program coupled with our live land auctions.
- Absolutely the best digital advertising in Iowa for farmland auctions. We got out in front of this trend a decade before it was even recognized by the industry as a trend. Today we enjoy the top spot in digital and internet farmland marketing products. Our sellers have found great benefit in our ability to expose farms and drive participation over such a wise area.
- The advanced digital tools and methods that we use and the combinations we use them in, and how we use them are our own proprietary secret that we can not reveal. The amazing power of our digital products allows us to instantly launch effective targeted marketing campaigns that hit the exact people we target and it allows us to change the campaign in just a few minutes. The Internet has opened immense possibilities in the auction industry and our company has been recognized with awards on the state and nation level for our marketing products.
- We still use offline tools that include on and off farm signage, local, regional and statewide newspapers, farm publications, direct mail, full color sale bills, radio ads, TV Ads, phone campaigns, property previews.
- In the days before our ability to target bidders and buyers online our main advertising was newspapers. They were slow and expensive. Most newspapers in rural Iowa run weekly so depending on when you placed the ad it could be up to 10 or 12 days before the ad was distributed and another 2-3 or 4 days before people actually read it. It could take up to 2 weeks for some people to see it and in a 4 week campaign thats incredibly dangerous! At DreamDirt we have many examples of launching social media campaigns within a hour of receiving a signed listing agreement and getting phone calls from neighbors to the farm within the first hour! We can operate at that speed today and quickly get your listing in front of buyers all across the nation instantly without the 2 week delay.
- Online bidding is the best insurance a seller can have and we provide it free to the seller with every land auction. We understand your farm is probably your most important assets financially and online bidding ensures that the farm achieves a fair market value in cases where bidders locally agree not to compete against each other for a farm. When you sell your farm with a company that doesn’t provide online bidding you risk leaving money on the table because some bidders will quietly and sometimes without every speaking a word of it refuse to bid against each other for fear of upsetting a friend or neighbor. Online bidding is the best insurance against this happening to you when you sell.
Who Is “The Team”
College and the Professional Ringman Institute. Jason is a CAI Auctioneer which means he has completed the highest designation available in the auction industry and the rest of our team has embarked on the CAI journey. We have included our online auctioneer in all training as well, while they may only run a computer to take the online bids they are fully integrated into our training to ensure the team operates flawlessly each and every auction.
It's important to know that our team are “true auctioneers” because in Iowa many auctioneers are only part time, or even hobby level auctioneers. Iowa does not have an auctioneer license law which means literally anybody can be an auctioneer. It doesn’t have to be said, but while all men are created equally, not all auctioneers are. We are a licensed real estate brokerage and carry full insurance. Each person on our real estate auction team is a graduate of Auction
Our team member are auctioneers first and foremost. Many in our industry are farm managers or appraisers first and often take farmland auctions as a bonus. Our company does one thing and we do it well, we are auctioneers and we understand the auction business which is so much more than just talking fast.
The strength of our Iowa Farmland Auction services makes our company the best choice for your farmland auction to ensure you have a smooth experience, your family and farm is honored for its importance and that you get top dollar for your farm. DreamDirt is different and we can get your listing in front of the right buyers fast.
Contact Jason for a free consultation
We have many free resources to help you understand the value of your farmland in Iowa and we offer them with no obligation. Click the FREE EVALUATION above to submit your information and we’ll contact you about the farm.